Hipster Douche Music Brigade

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hipster Douche Music Brigade

You listen to shitty music.

3 posters

Music in the 80s - Mainstream may have sucked, but...

IndieSnob

Music in the 80s - Mainstream may have sucked, but... Empty Music in the 80s - Mainstream may have sucked, but...

Post by IndieSnob Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:18 am

three of the best double albums ever were released during that decade, in my opinion.

Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation
    Husker Du's Zen Arcade
    Minutemen's Double Nickels On The Dime

I don't recall which Sonic Youth book or article I read this in, but Thurston was talking how some of the best music spawned out of the 80s but of course you had to dig deep to find it.

I did a presentation in a music class I took during time at the University, and I did a presentation on indie music, but really wanted to explain how a lot of the 80s bands spawned the ground work for it becoming more "popular".

I went all geeky and drew up a map of where the bands, labels and fanzines were located. I had the SST collective in Southern California, the straight edge crew of Dischord over in D.C., Chicago with labels like Touch & Go, etc. etc., Husker Du with new Alliance and then SST up in Minneapolis.

I basically drew out a map of the travels they made and how then it was sleeping in vans or squatting at houses where the bands had made friends/fans through fanzines and record mailing swaps.

I found it quite fun to see the 'aha' looks in their eyes as I drew the connections to Seattle bands, since I knew that's what would hit home with them.

I just wish I had been born earlier so I could have seen so many of those groups live.

Husker Du playing a cover of Eight Miles High while Mould jams on that Flying V guitar.

The rawness of Butthole Surfers and their drug induced shows.

The beauty of seeing D Boon shift around that weight as he jammed on his guitar, and seeing George Hurley's surfer dude haircut flipping up and down.

Bad Brains & Minor Threat sharing a bill.

The closest I came to having that feeling was when Mike Watt snuck me into a show because I was two days away from being 21.
    The Real L

Music in the 80s - Mainstream may have sucked, but... Empty Re: Music in the 80s - Mainstream may have sucked, but...

Post by The Real L Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:59 am

I have more to say, but since you mentioned Minor Threat I thought I'd leave this here:
    http://www.jadedpunk.com/post/44306596040/for-absolutely-no-reason-here-are-10-photos-of

BTW, that (Jaded Punk) is an awesome Tumblr.
    Drumsound
    Drumsound

Music in the 80s - Mainstream may have sucked, but... Empty Re: Music in the 80s - Mainstream may have sucked, but...

Post by Drumsound Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:56 pm

During the 80s I mostly listened to music from the 70s and 60s. Well, that and Rush because any self respecting drummer in HS in the 80s HAD to listen to Rush, there actually was a law.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:05 pm